Terror Alert Level The Mama Llama in Ireland: Cafes at the shops

The Mama Llama in Ireland

The Trip of a lifetime. Small town Spanish teacher moves to Belfast, Northern Ireland to teach for a term. Said teacher makes friends, learns to love NI food and

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Cafes at the shops

Did you know that almost every grocery here in Belfast has a cafe as part of it? It's great to think that you can go in, have a bite to eat and then do your shop. OR go in, do your shop, stop for a pot of tea and a scone (or the like) and then head home again. Yesterday, Fiona and I did our weekly shop at the Tesco near school. I think I've got nearly enough for the next week/week and a half. I love trying new products. I found a Tesco's Finest shrimp salad sauce (just add the shrimp) that looks really nice. I've gotten used to open face toasted prawn sandwiches and hope to make my own! The other foodie item that has been big the past couple of weeks at our Wed. Mod. Lang. lunches are jacket potatoes. Think a baked potato turned on end, cut with an X shape and then filled with some unusual for the American fillings: coleslaw, baked beans and cheese, chili (okay not so odd), curried chicken and fruit and the famous chicken tiki (my current fav). On Wed, Joan and I decided to try something new: tuna mayo and sweetcorn. Sounds awful, don't you think? Just to show how much we know, it was lovely! Imagine tuna salad (no pickles or eggs) and some fresh or frozen corn. Very nice indeed! Today we're waiting for my parents to come, I'm trying to keep the house neat (good luck!) and I've got a Shephard's Pie in the fridge for lunch. Did I really make it myself? Yep! Well, I diced the veg (carrots and onions), opened the can of peas, cooked the mince witht he veg. The only parts that are not homemade are the mash which I had to add milk and butter to (it was preped mash in the dairy case) and the sauce which came from a packet-but other than that, I think it counts! Mr. E will also have the choice of apple/pork sausage balls and chips.
tata
ML and EE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home