Terror Alert Level The Mama Llama in Ireland: 3AM

The Mama Llama in Ireland

The Trip of a lifetime. Small town Spanish teacher moves to Belfast, Northern Ireland to teach for a term. Said teacher makes friends, learns to love NI food and

Monday, October 02, 2006

3AM

It's three AM and I can't sleep. In fact, I just watched ABC's World News Tonight which is on every few nights here. I am having a really tough time of it this week-I'm pretty homesick. I'm also pretty sick, which I am sure does not make things easier. Then, tonight my DS comes home to tell me (for the second time) that someone has made a comment about not liking him because he is "brown". The first time this happened it was about a week into school and we had a little chat about how people can say not nice things, but that God made him a beautiful brown and loved him very much. Last night it was about kids telling him that he was naughty because he was brown. I knew that we would have to deal with this at some point, but age four seems so young. In some ways it makes me want to pack up my bags and get on an airplane. I know this type of stuff might happen at home, but there he has a family and not just his mom who has come with him halfway round the world. All of the other culture shock stuff, the other issues, seem so little next to this. I don't want him growing up thinking that his skin color makes him bad.
Mama triste,
ML

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw a post from you in the FIAR prayer room and clicked on your link...didn't want to freak you out about some "stranger" posting on your blog! ;)

I just wanted to say how sorry I am about the cruel things that kids say to other kids. It just isn't right! I am auntie to 2 adopted neices and a nephew, and no matter what their skin color they are precious! God makes some of us with blue eyes, some with green, etc. In the same way, He makes some of us with creamy colored skin, and some with chocolate colored skin. I am so sorry that you are having to face this over there!

The other thing that I wanted to share with you was this verse from Jeremiah 31:25..."I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint."

As you sit in another country, breathe in the promise that God is there and He will refresh you!

I know you don't know me, nor do I know you...I just "know" you through the FIAR boards. When I read your post, I felt the heartache in it of feeling alone in a place away from home. Hope I didn't freak you out by posting on your blog! :)

I will be praying for you and hope that you are feeling well soon!

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home