Terror Alert Level The Mama Llama in Ireland: My Little Northern Irish Boy

The Mama Llama in Ireland

The Trip of a lifetime. Small town Spanish teacher moves to Belfast, Northern Ireland to teach for a term. Said teacher makes friends, learns to love NI food and

Thursday, September 21, 2006

My Little Northern Irish Boy

Despite being born in Chicago and spending his first four years in the States, it would seem that my son is an all Belfast boy! Within 24 hours of coming here he started calling me Mummy unless he was very tired. At those times I regressed backing into being Mama. Given two weeks of living in the area, my friends, who are locals, started making comments about his changing accent. Add in a couple of more weeks and he started correcting my "English". One night while having a snack I asked him to put his trash into the trash can. Over a huffy breath he remarked that "Mummy, here we call it the bin". Right, my love, then put it into the bin! While he wants McD's, he now has beans and toast for "tea", attends assembly at school, asks for crisps (chips) for snack. He takes teatime break with his classmates, and enjoys the afternoon teatime break with his daycare friends. On Sunday night at our friends house he ran in for a "biscuit", said something to our host and then went out to play with his friends. Fred looked at me and said, " I hope you know that you are not taking an American child back to the States with you!" He's my all Belfast boy! Just think, we've only been here for about seven weeks now. What will it be like in six months?
Take care and love from Nore Iron!
ML and EE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home