Terror Alert Level The Mama Llama in Ireland: Changes and a little bit homesick.

The Mama Llama in Ireland

The Trip of a lifetime. Small town Spanish teacher moves to Belfast, Northern Ireland to teach for a term. Said teacher makes friends, learns to love NI food and

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Changes and a little bit homesick.

Day two of the inservice days went well. More meetings, more dept meetings, and time to work in classrooms. Very much the same format as school at home. We had lunch at the health club in Hollywood near school. I had a very good lime chili chicken sandwhich. It seems that lime chili is very big here at the moment. I've got a day of lesson plans finished. I'd like to have one more finished so that the first two days can be as non-stressed as they can. My time table here is different everyday, and with nine periods a day, it may be six months before I know what is going on! For example, on Thursday's I start with a double period of lower sixth, then move on to see two groups of second year, a group of third year, and a group of fourth year. And Thursday's my easy day. Oh, my! I think once I get going it will be okay.
Today E and I got a chance to sleep in a bit. We had toaster pancakes for breakfast. Pancakes here are a bit different, but Sainsbury's (grocery) sells packets of "American Pancakes". If only I could find Mrs. Butterworths. It seems that you just toast them and then add butter or jam. French toast is a bit different as well. Kids eat it with-ketchup! Go figure! After our somewhat American breakfast we went to the post office, the library to exchange books, and then to the butcher for chicken and sausage rolls. I love the library ladies. They are so interested in the fact that we are American and are always so friendly to Mr. E. The one always remembers his name and knows that he likes Balamorey books. In fact, now that he has checked out all the ones that they have, she has ordered three more! We've been here three weeks and the "newness" has worn off a bit. I am homesick and find that little things are starting to get to me. I know that this is normal per the Fulbright orientation. I just wish that I had some more American interaction. Thank Heavens for skype-I think it keeps me sane!
love from Nore Iron!
ML and EE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home